Thursday, November 12, 2009

Pink Noise


I am in love. It might be infatuation and honestly I know I won’t be able to differentiate one from the other for a good few weeks yet, but right now it feels like love. Oh calm yourselves. (That means you Corlia.) I have not been swept up in a whirlwind romance with a starving German artist by the name of Anders that will result in my abandonment of imminent travel plans and elopement to Dusseldorf. No, I’m in love with ‘A Brief History of Love’ by The Big Pink. It’s a near perfect wall of sound, an aural onslaught that keeps me pushing play, repeat, listen to end, rewind, play, repeat, ad infinitum. Since I saw them at Lido a few weeks ago, I’ve been unable to do much else but listen to their astonishing debut album. Or, more accurately, I’ve been unable to do much WITHOUT listening to their astonishing debut album. I listen to it when I’m on the train. I listen to it when I’m drying my hair, applying Chanel liquid eyeliner, safety pinning broken boots closed. It’s walking, eating, writing, drinking music. I can’t guarantee you’ll like it... But if you do like it, chances are you’ll love it.

Velvet is quite possibly the best song of the year (a lofty title I have not bestowed upon a song since the pop masterpiece of Muse’s 2006 Supermassive Black Hole - the band they are currently supporting on a massive arena tour) Other worthy mentions are Countdown from Ten and Too Young to Love. Hold me back. It's a bit dance floor. A bit maudlin. A bit heartbreaking. And a lot loud. This is what music should be.

Buy the record. Beg. Steal. Borrow. Do it.

Oh, and for those of you so inclined (as I am,) lead singer Robbie Furze is a stone cold beast.

No comments:

Post a Comment