Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Impoverished Writer's Survival Kit

My cousin Shanna is a rock star. I went to go have a glass of wine with her last night and she presented me with this:

Which I opened, to find this:

"It's your survival kit," she told me. "as it's only a matter of time before you run off to some far away city and can't afford to eat.... again."
In the little suitcase (which, by the way, belonged to her as a pre schooler and I have coveted since we were 5 years old) was some Sanctuary bath soak and body butter

a bar of micky mouse soap

a nail file and band aids

an easy open tin of baked beans

for which this fold up spoon was provided

and naturally, a packet of rice.

No writer can ever be without a pocket sized bottle of whiskey, complete with teeny tiny hip flask.

For when I am in need of something sweet, there are shortcake biscuits on hand

and bite sized rolls of sweets

Just because I will not always be in a position to drink Chateau Lafite, does not mean that my carry on wine stopper should be anything less than crystal

and obviously I will need to keep a bottle opener at hand for when I need to open beers. (You know, when the crystal stopper is in the in the Lafite.


And of course, a lighter with which to light my Marlboro Reds.

and most importantly, the piece de resistance of the writer's survival kit, as rice, whiskey, body butter and biscuits can only get one so far......
my beloved moleskin notebooks

As I said, my cousin is a rock star.
Thanks Shan. YOU ARE THE BEST.

(there was also a tiny bag of chocolate coins. I must confess I molested those before I even found my camera. But know, they existed.)

2 comments: