Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Be still my beating heart....

Oxfam is dead to me. No longer am I a sucker for the blue signs of Cancer Research or the overpriced goods at Sue Ryder. The Notting Hill Trust and the suspiciously new looking homeware in their windows can jump. I'm over Barnados and The British Red Cross and Trinity Hospice. Don't misunderstand me, Germany is not causing me to do something so crazy as buy previously unworn clothes. Rather, I have found the mother of all second hand shops.
That's right. That is a five storey building dedicated solely to the sale of second hand goods. Clothes, shoes, books, ceramic monstrosities that are no one really know what to do with, electric beaters, skinny grey ties made of leather, lampshades, 500 piece puzzles with only 324 pieces in the box, mdf side cabinets, ddr era knitted shirts, croquet sets, tea pots, skateboards and more leather clothing (and I do not mean simply jackets and coats, but shirts, skirts, trousers and SHORTS) than should live under one roof. It's unbelievable.
Some things are are amazing. I bought a little blue blazer from the kids section for a steal. It's not for a kid by the way. It's for me. It's all part of my plan to be as stylish as the average 6 year old in Friedrichshain.

Some things however..... well, they veer off the path of amazing and into the land of 'That is plain goddamn scary.'
Case in point:

It's also where painfully hideous wedding dresses go to die:
(Isn't that the saddest thing you've ever seen?)

As I understand it, Humana (as the shop is called) is a charity that helps poor starving Africans. On their website, when enticing you with the lure of cut price already used and possibly broken goods, they actually say, "And don’t forget: you’re not only doing something good for yourself, but with every purchase you are helping others."

Help an African indeed.

1 comment:

  1. i am desperate for a lampshade and horrible wedding dress. TAKE ME HERE PLS.

    ReplyDelete